The PAW Centre
The new Fitness and Lifestyle Centre is now open! Located on two levels within the new Physical Activity and Wellness Centre, the new activity space is three times the size as the old Centre and is spread out over two floors.
The abundance of natural light, vastly improved air handling system and new state-of-the-art fitness equipment will provide a welcoming environment for students, staff and community members.
Facility and program access/usage has been made possible by the Athletic and Recreation Fees and new PAW fee paid by students at the University of Alberta.
Some highlights of the new centre
- $900k of new equipment is going into the new centre
- 20 new Treadmills, 12 new Ellipticals, 12 new Adaptive Motion Trainers, 16 Spinner NXT bikes, 2 Versa Climbers, 12 Upright/Recumbent Bikes and 8 Rowers.
- 175 pieces of equipment total (cardio, strength machines, squat racks, free weight benches, as well as plenty of open space for body weight activities).
- Precor's Preva system where you can track all your activities through an app designed to keep you motivated.
- Plate loaded equipment - 20 Hammer Strength pieces
- Large stretching area
- 3 full scale Synergies (multi-use strength stations)
- 2 Dumbbell/barbell areas
- 17 Hammer Strength racks/cages
For additional information about the Fitness Centre, including the hours of operation, please visit the Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation's website.
The new Climbing Centre in PAW will open for operation January 5, 2015. The existing Climbing Wall located in the Pavilion (Butterdome), will remain open and operational until the new location is completed. December hours for the Climbing Centre are posted on the webpage or by visiting the Facebook page.
View time-lapse video of PAW Centre construction
For more information, please contact:
Students' Union, Vice-President Operations and Finance at email@example.com
Megha Bajaj, Graduate Students' Association, Vice-President Student Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
Physical Education and Recreation faculty and staff:
Cheryl Harwardt, Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation, at 780.492.0229 or email@example.com.
University and neighbouring communities:
Emily Ball, University Relations, at 780.492.4345 or firstname.lastname@example.org.