Each year, the University of Alberta undertakes a variety of construction and renewal projects on its campuses. These projects range from construction of new buildings, to smaller renovations and upgrades. Regardless of the scale of the project, construction-site safety is the highest priority, as the university aims to provide a safe and secure environment on campus.
Follow the top 10 safety tips when you encounter a construction site:
- Obey construction and way-finding signs at all times.
- Use designated passages when walking near construction; never take short cuts.
- Never enter a construction site or interfere with construction operations.
- Always follow instructions from construction personnel, including flag persons.
- If you see an unsafe condition, advise the nearest construction personnel immediately.
- Be aware of common tripping hazards.
- Never walk beneath an overhead load.
- Avoid areas of high noise-generating equipment or activities.
- Be attentive to ongoing changes around construction sites.
- If you witness suspicious activity around a construction site, contact UAPS immediately at 780.492.5050.