Application for University Driving Privileges
All drivers must submit an original signed and dated Application for University Driving Privileges to the Vehicle Pool. Note: Another application is required only if a driver leaves the University for more than two years.
- Access and download the application by clicking on the link at the bottom of this page.
Tab through each of the blue shaded fields and enter the required information.
- Use the left mouse button or space bar to activate check boxes. Click on the box a second time to uncheck the box.
- Print the form and have it signed by the approving departmental authority.
- Sign and date both lower sections on the application if you possess and Alberta driver's license. Your signature provides consent to the University to store personal information and obtain driver abstracts for drivers licensed in Alberta.
- Drivers licensed outside of Alberta must sign the "Driver Authorization and Acknowledgement" section, obtain a 3-year abstract from the issuing authority semi-annually and submit it to the Vehicle Pool.
- Forward the original signed application to the Vehicle Pool, or deliver in person to the Edmonton Research Station, South Campus, next to the Saville Center.
Allow 5 business days for processing.
Confidential driver information is stored by the Vehicle Pool in accordance with the Alberta Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and reviewed for Vehicle Management and Driver Safety Program use only.
Driver information is updated following completion of training courses and semi-annual driver abstract reviews.
Expense Reimbursement Form - to recover costs associated when upgrading to a Class 4 Driver's License
Volunteer Registration and Liability Waiver Form - retained by the Department or Faculty APO for five years
Collaborator Cover Letter
- For use by external organizations with employees involved in collaborative research with the University of Alberta. In the event that the employee is injured while travelling in a University vehicle, this form acknowledges that the employer has WCB coverage in place.
Approval Process Check List (for Drivers Hired Before March 01, 2003)
Approval Process Check List (for Drivers Hired After March 01, 2003)
- Drivers must be able to answer "Yes" to all questions in the applicable column.
- Drivers intending to operate vehicles designed to carry more than 11 persons, including the driver, must meet additional requirements.
Request to Rent Vehicle - The completed form must be mailed or faxed, with signatures, to Vehicle Pool 780.492.1924.
Basic License Driver's Handbook (PDF)
Professional Driver Handbook (PDF)
Printed copies of the handbooks are also available by visiting the 4th floor, General Services Building.