University of Alberta vehicle driver authorization requirements:

  1. 19 years of age or older

  2. Possess a valid, non-graduated Class 5, 4, 3, 2 or 1 Driver's License issued in Canada or the United States with less than 6 demerits points and less than 3 moving violations during the previous three years.
  3. Complete and submit page 1 of the Application for University Driving Privileges

    Drivers holding an Alberta license must also complete part one of page two.

    Drivers holding out of province license must obtain and submit a three year abstract from the issuing authority.

  4. Complete the University of Alberta Online Defensive Driving Course or other recognized Defensive Driving Course.

    The University will accept Defensive Driving Course certificates issued by the Canada Safety Council, Alberta Motor Association, Alberta Transportation within the previous 2 years.
    Submit a copy of the certificate to the Fleet Safety Officer.

    Course certificates issued by other providers may be accepted or rejected following review by the Fleet Safety Officer.

  5. Successfully complete a University driver skills evaluation.
    This a one hour in-car evaluation of driver awareness and vehicle control in a University vehicle.

    To schedule an evaluation contact the Fleet Safety Officer at (780) 405-5201 or email

12-15 Passenger Vans or 24 Passenger Bus Operators

Must meet the following requirements
  1. 21 years of age or over
  2. Possess a valid Class 4, Class 2 or Class 1 driver's license issued in Canada or the United States
  3. Submit the Application for Driving Privileges
  4. Complete the University of Alberta Online Defensive Driving Course or equivalent.
  5. Complete the University of Alberta In-Car Evaluation
  6. Successfully complete the University of Alberta van or bus orientation

Volunteers and Collaborators

Volunteers and collaborators working with the University of Alberta on research projects must participate in the driver authorization process prior to operating University owned, rented or leased vehicles.

The forms below are required by the Office of Insurance and Risk Assessment and are stored by the department:

Volunteer Registration and Use of U of A Vehicles 

Collaborator Waiver 
This letter is normally completed a supervisor from the collaborating organization or institution and indicates that Workers Compensation Board coverage and third party liability insurance is in place for the collaborating worker.